laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 91/100: How Jesus Became God - The Exaltation of a Jewish Preacher from Galilee by Bart Ehrman

How Jesus Became God: The Exaltation of a Jewish Preacher from Galilee - Bart D. Ehrman

This is an interesting book, which is strongest in the middle. It takes a little while to get going as Ehrman outlines the general beliefs about humanity and divinity in Jesus' time, but it picks up when he starts actually looking at the Gospels in his historical search for how beliefs about Jesus evolved. It sags again at the end when we get into the politics of what eventually became "canon", and how.

Still, I appreciated having a better sense of context for the passages in the Bible that reference Jesus' divinity, and how Christians came to believe something that, now, seems as though it was never in question. But my favorite part was probably a bit of an aside, which was when Ehrman laid out how historians suss out what is likely to be historically true in the Bible vs. what was most likely written to spread a certain theology.

Jesus is a mystery that we will never be able to unravel, but it sure is fascinating to see how people try.