laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

New Books Before Vacation

Bless Me, Ultima - Rudolfo Anaya The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe - Dan Poblocki Longbourn - Jo Baker Elegy Beach - Steven R. Boyett Beautiful Outlaw: Experiencing the Playful, Disruptive, Extravagant Personality of Jesus - John Eldredge Atlantia - Ally Condie X-Files Season 10 Volume 2 - Guillermina De Ferrari, Elena Casagrande, Joe Harris, Michael Walsh Return to Avalon - Jennifer Roberson

I am leaving for my vacation tomorrow, and I'm not going to come back to this same pile of books waiting to be put away! In the past couple weeks, I have acquired:

Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya - This one just came today, via Bookmooch. I read about it last week on a Common Sense Media.

The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe by Dan Poblocki - This is one of those books that has a storyline about blurring the line between fantasy and reality. I read about it in School Library Journal. Paperbackswap was a total tease about it. First it told me it was available. Then it wasn't. Then it was. Then I didn't believe it. But now I have proof!

Longbourn by Jo Baker - I found this book at Savers. And it's a fairly new book! And it's a Pride and Prejudice spinoff. I almost left it because I know the library has it. But then I dashed back for it at the last minute. MUST GET THIS BOOK THING UNDER CONTROL. (Who am I kidding?)

Elegy Beach by Steven Boyett - I got this in the mail from a friend (that I will be seeing on my vacation!). I introduced her to the book Ariel, and this book, written afterwards, takes place in the same world. But there are no unicorns in it. :( We might buddy read it this winter.

Beautiful Outlaw: Experiencing the Playful, Disruptive, Extravagant Personality of Jesus by John Eldredge - Received via Paperbackswap earlier this week. Because one can never have too many books about Jesus.

Atlantia by Allie Condie - This is another book I got through work. Too old for our demographic, but I'm going to keep it and read it myself.

The X-Files, Season Ten, #2 - I thought volume 1 was only average, but I still wanna see what happens. And my hubby will read it, too.

Return to Avalon: 20 Original Stories edited by Jennifer Roberson - This is a collection of King Arthur stories, also discovered at Savers, which should be a no-brainer. But I hesitated because it is also a tribute to Marion Zimmer Bradley, who I have ishy feelings about after learning that she was complicit in her husband's sexual abuse of neighborhood boys and that she also allegedly sexually abused her daughter. I didn't really want to "honor" her with a "tribute." But I wanted the King Arthur stories. And since it's secondhand, it's not like her estate is even getting any of the proceeds. In the end, King Arthur and my book-hoarderness won out.