laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 99/100: Cat Person by SEO Kim

Cat Person - Seo Kim

I TRY not to bring home books from the library that aren't on my long "to-read" list, but sometimes I just can't resist.

I don't know if this one was worth the impulse check-out, but it only took about 25 minutes to read, so it's hard to fault it.

Although I didn't find a lot of the cartoons particularly funny, I could smile to myself over them for the way they captured a lot of moments that could have been taken from my own inner life, especially as a freelancer -- the promises to self to get to better earlier, to be more productive, to spend less time on your phone/Facebook, etc. I found the long-distance relationship stuff sweet, too. I think my main complaint was that I wanted more CAT and that there didn't seem to be a consistent thematic or narrative thread to hold the individual comics together.

It might have almost been worth the read just for the cartoon illustration of a menstrual cup (with a face), though. I wonder how many readers recognized it for what it was.