laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

January Challenge Recap

Fantasy: The Best of the Year, 2006 Edition - George Saunders, Gregory Feeley, Paul Di Filippo, Theodora Goss, Holly Phillips, Gene Wolfe, Richard Parks, Pat Cadigan, Steve Rasnic Tem, Marc Laidlaw, Elizabeth Bear, Joe Murphy, Rich Horton, Matthew Hughes, Michael Canfield, Sonya Taaffe, Samantha Henderson, Eric Schal Bambi - Felix Salten Watership Down - Richard Adams Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn Panic - Sharon M. Draper The Baby Tree - Sophie Blackall Brown Girl Dreaming - Jacqueline Woodson Eleanor and Park - Rainbow Rowell Plover Landing - Marie Zhuikov The Adventures of Pinocchio - Carlo Collodi

Here is my January progress for the four(ish) reading challenges I'm doing this year. You can see three of them here, and the fourth is my plan to read as many of the source materials for Disney movies as possible -- I have already read about half of them over a lifetime of Disney fandom.

From my personal reading challenge, in January I was supposed to read books I had received as gifts. Unfortunately, I only read one book from this category:

Fantasy: The Best of the Year 2006 - I received this book as a Christmas present from Pocketmermaid several years ago -- I think it was 2009. The gift note, written on festive Christmas stationery, was still tucked inside. She bought it for me because it had the "sequel" to one of my favorite books, "The Last Unicorn," in it, and also because I was making a bit of an informal study of the short story form at the time, hoping to untangle how to write some of my own. This book took me much longer to read than I thought -- the pages are trade-paperback sized and the text fairly cramped with small margins. I also had to stop for about a week to read a book club book. Glad to finally have it read, but sad that I didn't get more books under my belt for this part of the challenge!

From my Into the Forest Reading Challenge, I read

1. A book from the Endicott YA list Ella Enchanted and

2. A book that was made into a favorite movie - Bambi

And for this 2015 Reading Challenge I read ...

1. A Book That Became a Movie - Bambi by Felix Salten
  2. A Book With Nonhuman Characters - Watership Down by Richard Adams
  3. A Mystery or Thriller - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  4. A Book with a One-Word Title - Panic by Sharon Draper
  5. A Book of Short Stories - Fantasy: The Best of the Year 2006 by Rich Norton
  6. A Book Based Entirely on Its Cover - The Baby Tree by Sophie Blackall
  7. A Memoir - Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
  8. A Book Set in High School - Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
  9. A Book Set in Your Home Town - Plover Landing by Marie Zhuikov (Duluth is my "adopted" hometown -- I don't think any books are set in my actual hometown.)

For Disney Source Materials, I read

1. Bambi by Felix Salten (heh, this one is showing up on every list!)
  2. The Sorceror's Apprentice by Goethe and

Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi

For February I am reading Love & Marriage books. One of my favorite themes!