laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Reading Challenges: February Recap

Why I'm Still Married: Women Write Their Hearts Out on Love, Loss, Sex, and Who Does the Dishes - Karen Propp, Jean Trounstine Love in the Time of Algorithms: How Online Dating Shapes Our Relationships - Dan Slater The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame, Gillian Avery

Another month is behind me, and another handful of books read toward various 2015 challenges. As a quick recap, my challenges this year are:

1) A personal challenge created to help me read down my own collection;

2) A challenge from Into the Forest, a fairy tale group I belong to on Goodreads

3) A challenge to read as many source materials for Disney movies as possible and

4) Just for the fun of it, a challenge to see how many of the books I read happen to fit with the criteria of this challenge.

From my personal reading challenge, I was reading books with the theme of Love & Marriage. I read:

1. The Way of Marriage: A Journal of Spiritual Growth Through Love, Conflict and Sex by Henry Borys - This was a man's published journal of his exploration and deepening of his own marriage after it was shaken up by his wife's temptation toward having an affair. I loved this book and kept it to re-read as needed in the future.
  2. Why I'm Still Married: Women Write Their Hearts Out on Love, Loss, Sex and Who Does The Dishes by Karen Propp and Jean Troustine - I liked that this book let me peek in on a lot of different marriages, but it didn't make enough of an impression for me to keep it around.
  3. Love in the Time of Algorithms: How Online Dating Shapes Our Relationships by Dan Slater - Although I wanted to read more marriage memoirs, I decided to squeeze in a change of pace and read something a little more journalistic in nature. Plus, I wanted to read this book before it got too outdated, and before I got too far from my own online dating experience. It was all right.

From my Into the Forest Reading Challenge, I read

1. A book from the Endicott YA Mythic Fiction List - I read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

For this 2015 Reading Challenge I read ...

1. A Book By a Female Author - The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter (in progress)
  2. A Book Set in a Different Country - The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (the UK)
  3. A Nonfiction Book - Why I'm Still Married by Karen Propp and Jean Trounstine
  4. A Book a Friend Recommended - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
  5. A Book More Than 100 Years Old - The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling (in progress)

For Disney Source Materials, I read

1. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
  2. The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling (in progress)

My theme for March is -- religious books. One of my favorite themes! ;)