laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Reading Challenges: March Recap

Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections between Sexuality and Spirituality - Rob Bell Engines of the Broken World - Jason Vanhee Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith - Barbara Brown Taylor The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories - Angela Carter A Castle Full of Cats - Ruth Sanderson Tiger Lily - Jodi Lynn Anderson The Infinite Sea (5th Wave) - Rick Yancey Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar - Cheryl Strayed Landline: A Novel - Rainbow Rowell

Another month is behind me, and another handful of books read toward various 2015 challenges. As a quick recap, my challenges this year are:

1) A personal challenge created to help me read down my own collection;

2) A challenge from Into the Forest, a fairy tale group I belong to on Goodreads

3) A challenge to read as many source materials for Disney movies as possible and

4) Just for the fun of it, a challenge to see how many of the books I read happen to fit with the criteria of this challenge.

From my personal reading challenge, I was reading books with religious themes. I decided to pick one "reflection," one "religious fiction" and one "spiritual memoir."

Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections between Sexuality and Spirituality by Rob Bell - This was my "reflection" book. And while it's a good meditation on the inherent dignity of every human being -- which should also encompass their sexuality -- it didn't blow me away like his book Love Wins did when I read it in 2011.

Engines of the Broken World by Jason Vanhee - This was my "religious fiction," as it had characters with names like Gospel and Merciful, who lived with a strange creature always spouting spiritual advice at them. There is a lot of invoking of God and the Good Book, but it didn't quite "gel" as religious fiction for me. Was never quite sure what it was trying to say, if anything.

Leaving Church by Barbara Brown Taylor - This was my spiritual memoir, which I started with only two days left of the month. But I have a whole shelf full of spiritual memoirs, so I felt like I had to squeeze at least one in for this theme. I only gave it three stars, so it probably wasn't the best one I could have pulled from the shelf.

My April theme is "new books" -- I am reading whichever book in my collection is newest when it comes time to pick my next read.

From my Into the Forest Reading Challenge, I read

1. A book from the Endicott Adult Fairy Tale Retelling List - I read The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter

For this 2015 Reading Challenge I read ...

A Funny Book - A Castle Full of Cats by Ruth Sanderson

A Book With a Love Triangle - Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

A Book Set in the Future - The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancy (haven't written my review yet)

A Book That Made You Cry - Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed (haven't written my review yet)

A Book By An Author You've Never Read Before - Leaving Church by Barbara Brown Taylor

A Book Set During Christmas - Landline by Rainbow Rowell

For Disney Source Materials, I read ...

Well, I finished The Jungle Book; and