laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 44/100: Zondervan Wide Margin Bible, NIV translation

Zondervan NIV Wide Margin Bible - Zondervan Publishing

After finally reading the whole Bible cover to cover, I really do think that you can find support for almost any belief here.

Which is why it's important to look at the "big picture" rather than getting tangled up in the details. Because there are a lot of weird details.

Slow moving in parts, but with a great message overall. A little bit of everything in this book -- dirty stories, poetry, transcendence, insight into ancient cultures. Early on I wished that I had a different translation, as this one is a little too casual and because that, perhaps not has accurate. (It's an "idea for idea" translation vs. a "word for word" translation, which I learned while taking a Bible course many years ago.) I will try to return to this book many times throughout my lifetime, but probably not this translation again. The thing I like about this particular edition, though, and the reason I purchased it in the first place, is its HUGE margins for note-taking. And I used them -- the Bible is much more valuable as "dialog" than directive, I think.

Really, everyone who calls themselves a Christian should read the Bible for themselves at least once, rather than depending on someone else's interpretation of it. This is the basis of so much of our cultural values and the backbone of Christianity, so it's really something one should experience for oneself.