laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 76/100: Beastkeeper by Cat Hellisen

Beastkeeper - Cat Hellisen

This book felt like the whole thing was lead-up ... I was 3/4 of the way through the book and still had the sense that I was "waiting" for the story to begin. Sarah's total isolation was disconcerting, and not really in a good way -- I kept hoping for her to come across ONE person who wasn't going to abandon her, betray her, or treat her like crap. I was waiting for a change of heart, for her to see that someone was not what they seemed, etc., but people pretty much were what they appeared to be at first glance, with the possible exception of Alan. In some ways, this felt more like a dark and dreamlike foray into Alice in Wonderland territory than a riff off Beauty & the Beast.

The terms of the spell in this book feel a little bit convoluted, and I wasn't surprised when I read in the author's note that she had written it in "a mad dash." It reads like a cleaned up NaNoWriMo novel, although I wasn't able to verify that. There is some really gorgeous writing near the end that almost bumped this up to a four-star book, but it ended up being too little too late for me.