laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 58/100: Sabbath - Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives by Wayne Muller

Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives - Wayne Muller

Book Riot Read Harder Challenge Item: Read a Book About Religion

It's always hard for me to put into words why I give a book five stars. This book was simply very restful and enjoyable to read. It is all about the importance of bringing designated times of "rest" back into our lives, and protecting that time as just as important as time when we are being "productive." It's full of stories about how other people have managed to do this, as well as ideas for how to create time of ritualized rest if you're not sure where to start. It draws from several traditions although the author's background is in Christianity. I loved its emphasis on doing what feels restful to YOU -- so if meditating or church services feel like "work," you need to carve out something else for your designated "sabbath" time.

The importance of rest, rejuvenation, and doing something just for the joy of it were not new concepts to me, and I agree that they are important. To a certain extent, I protect these times in my own life as well. So this book did not jolt me into awareness but rather reaffirmed that there is nothing wrong with "doing nothing." I now take naps with far less guilt.