laceylouwagie

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book Review: Archetype by M.D. Waters

ArchetypeArchetype by M.D. Waters
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I think this book will be a bit of a let-down for anyone who reads a lot of science fiction. The "big reveal" was obvious to me within the first quarter of the book, and after that I thought there must be something else to it because I couldn't have figured it out *that fast* right? There was a little something more to it, but not enough to justify the length, and all the angsting over dreams and partial memories and oh-my-god-i-love-two-men and who-the-heck-am-i-maybe-if-i-screw-my-hot-husband-i'll-feel-better.

The world-building was okay -- it was an interesting dystopia in which women were raised in "women's training camps" to then be purchased by "suitors" as wives. The training camps felt akin to concentration camps, except that the women were meant to be kept alive. Some of the details about the technology were interesting, with the experience of teleporting being especially vivid. But I had a lot of trouble believing that this was actually a future USA. Why is it that I can suspend disbelief for "The Handmaid's Tale," which puts women in a similarly subservient position, and not for this? Probably because Margaret Atwood is a helluva better writer.

The writing in this book wasn't awful, but it wasn't rich, either. The main character's character development felt pretty shallow throughout, as did the characterizations of others. It felt more like the writing in a "romance/thriller" than in literary fiction or science fiction, both of which I think this book was trying to be. It might be a nice "change of pace" for folks who usually read romances, thrillers, or literary fiction, but there's not enough to chew on for die-hard science fiction fans.