laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

A Year in Reading Suggestions - February - A Book From a Blog

When She Woke - Hillary Jordan Unraveling: Hanging On to Faith Through the End of a Christian Marriage - Elisabeth K. Corcoran

We've arrived at the second month in a year in reading suggestions. The February challenge is to read a book we discovered through a blog:

In February, read a book recommended on a blog.
Check out any book blog out there and see why that book was worth talking about.

I don't read a ton of book blogs, although the blogs I do read tend to be by people who love books. So this month, I'm reading When She Woke by Hillary Jordan, which was recommended by my friend Jenna as one of the best reads of 2011 (yes, I'm a few years behind ... ). I've already started listening to this book on audio, and it quickly drew me in. It's what you'd get if The Scarlet Letter and The Handmaid's Tale had a baby. And yes, I know this is kind of a creepy comparison considering the subject matter. That's why I chose it!

I'm also going to read Unraveling: Hanging Onto Faith Through the End of a Christian Marriage by Elisabeth Corcoran, which I came across on my friend Jenny Rae Armstrong's blog (apparently I only read blogs by Jennies!) This book initially piqued my interest because I thought it was a memoir; now that I have it in my possession, I'm wondering if it's actually a self-help book. That makes me nervous, as I feel weird about reading a divorce self-help book when I'm very happy in my marriage. But I think the personal reflection I'm looking for will probably still be present.

A few other books I'm considering if I finish early are If Grace is True by Phillip Gulley and James Mulholland; The Right to Write by Julia Cameron; and The Duty of Delight: The Diaries of Dorothy Day, all of which were recommended in comments on blog posts I had written.