laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

A Year in Reading Suggestions: March Recap & April Plans

A Storm of Swords - George R.R. Martin Like Me: Confessions of a Heartland Country Singer - Chely Wright The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Muriel Barbery The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie - Kim Carpenter Divergent - Veronica Roth

So, it's time for my Year in Reading Suggestions Recap. The theme from March was to read a book that had been made into a movie.

In March, read a book that has been made into a movie.
Here’s your chance to judge a book by its movie! Find out which of your favorite scenes from a book ended up on the cutting room floor and which made it to the silver screen.

Although I have lots of books on my to-read list that fit this challenge, I stretched it to include documentaries and TV series as well. Here's what I read.

Divergent by Veronica Roth - The most timely of all the books I read, I finished it just a few days before the movie released. I wondered if the movie would be "as mediocre as the book," and it turned out it was. Not a bad way to spend a Friday night, but not something I need to do again, either. As far as staying true to the book, I felt it did that well enough.

Like Me: Confessions of a Heartland Country Singer by Chely Wright - This is part of Chely Wright's "coming out trifecta" that includes this book, the documentary Wish Me Away, and her album, Lifted Off the Ground. I saw the documentary first about a year ago, found and loved the CD, and finally completed the trifecta with the book. Then I watched the documentary again. The three different offerings compliment each other beautifully, and each one stands beautifully alone, too. I have so much admiration for the journey of courage she has taken.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Bradbury - This book always used to catch my eye when I worked at the library because my sister loves hedgehogs. Then I saw that it was also a movie. Just finished the book yesterday and was not really impressed, but the movie looks like it might have potential anyway.

A Storm of Swords by George RR Martin - I'm not quite finished with this one yet, but I have a lot of thoughts about it, mainly regarding the relationship George RR Martin has with his characters and death. I'm enjoying it more than the first two books, and it somehow seems a little less bleak despite the deaths (or maybe I'm just getting callous to this series?) I cheated and included this one because I know my husband would be bummed if he had to wait for this year's challenge to be over before I might read this, and thus be able to watch the third season of the HBO series with him.

The Vow by Kim and Kricket Carpenter - I'm not finished with this one yet, but I'm enjoying it. It has more religion in it than I expected. Let's see how Hollywood secularizes it into a romantic drama that fails to touch the true struggle and heartache of losing the woman you love through brain injury.

I expect to finish both A Storm of Swords and The Vow within the first week of April, and then it will be time to move on to April's challenge:

In April, REread your favorite book from childhood.
What book kept you up late into the night, reading under your covers with a flashlight because you just couldn’t put it down? Reread that beloved tome and be young again.

I have to admit, I'm probably the least jazzed about this month than any of the others. With a to-read list that is literally thousands of books long, it's hard for me to justify re-reading. So, I'm going to tweak this. I've already read most of my favorite books from childhood 2 or more times, and the ones I really want to reread from that period are all at my parents' place and not available at the local library. Instead, I'm going to read the graphic novel rendition of The Last Unicorn, one of my favorite books ever, and follow it up with The Last Unicorn: the Lost Version. I'm also going to reread my friend Marie's book, The Eye of the Wolf, in anticipation of the sequel that comes out this summer. I may check out the graphic novel version of A Wrinkle in Time, try to borrow Anna to the Infinite Power from my sister, reread something off my "favorites" shelf, or perhaps dive into my retellings shelf. But it all must begin with The Last Unicorn.