laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 64/100: Encounters with the Strange and Unexplained by Matt Hoyle

Encounters: With the Strange and Unexplained - Matt Hoyle

The photos in this book are truly amazing, dark and haunted, with as much attention to detail as a painter with a fine-tipped brush might take. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but in terms of this book's text, they might be worth more. Each photo is accompanied by a story in the subject's own words about his or her paranormal encounter. And while Matt Hoyle's skill with a camera cannot be denied, I get the sense that he is less skillful as an interviewer and editor, because many of the personal stories leave a lot to be desired. They are full of vague statements such as, "It was the scariest thing I ever saw," or "it didn't look human," which leaves an editor like me wanting to scream, "COULD YOU PLEASE BE MORE SPECIFIC?"

Still, it is fascinating how many people swear they have seen ghosts, aliens, and monsters, especially knowing this is just a fraction of those who claim such experiences. Reading this is like watching highlights from a season of the X-Files!