laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

A Small Tower of New Books

Signs of Life: A Memoir - Natalie Taylor Dark Song - Gail Giles The Real Boy - Erin Mcguire, Anne Ursu The Law of Loving Others - Kate Axelrod The Secret Sky: A Novel of Forbidden Love in Afghanistan - Atia Abawi On Becoming a Novelist - John Gardner, Raymond Carver Second Sight: An Editor's Talks on Writing, Revising, and Publishing Books for Children and Young Adults - Cheryl B. Klein

The books have been piling up in this past month, and I need to log them or risk losing my coffee table entirely! Here is what has come my way, as well as why and how.

From Paperbackswap

Signs of Life by Natalie Taylor - I read about this book in Writers Digest; it chronicles a woman's experience losing her husband while she was pregnant and having and raising her son without him. I put it on my list back when I was engaged and obsessed with any memoir relating to marriage.

Dark Song by Gail Giles - I thought this was a Beauty & the Beast retelling, but I can't find anything to confirm that. If it's not that, it must be a book that caught my interest when I was reading a review journal like School Library Journal or Booklist.

The Real Boy by Anne Ursu - And this is supposed to be a retelling of Pinnochio, although the associates are lose at best. I've already started reading this one, and I'm enjoying it a lot. The main character seems as though he might have Asperger's, and I love the cats that are everywhere!

From Publishers

I've decided to keep two books sent to me by publishers in hopes that they will find their way to a mention in New Moon Girls magazine, both of which are too old for New Moon's demographic but are of interest to me.

The Secret Sky by Atia Abadi - This is a story of "forbidden love in Afghanistan."

The Law of Loving Others by Kate Axelrod - Features a mother with a mental illness (schizophrenia)

From Bookmooch

On Becoming a Novelist by John Gardner - This book came highly recommended through Tuscany Press, a Catholic publisher.

And last, but not least ...

Second Sight by Cheryl Klein, which I bought at her Master Plot Workshop last weekend.

Phew, time to do some shelving!