laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 8/100: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

I was working at the local library when this book came out. I saw it in an endless progression of holds lists and took many requests. I read the jacket copy and kept shrugging it off. What was the big deal, anyway?

Despite so many endorsements of how amazing this book was, I just wasn't interested. I don't tend to go for thrillers, or books about a missing body/missing person. But then I saw the movie preview and got my first sense that this was not a typical thriller. And because of my hang up about reading books before seeing movies, I finally caved and read this one.

I am so glad I did.

There's not a lot I can say about this that hasn't already been said before, but I can say that this isn't just a mystery or a thriller. It is a compelling, masterfully written character study of two very unlikable people who you may hate yourself for relating to or cheering on ... just a little. It was watching Nick and Amy's marriage unravel that kept me turning the pages of the book, with the murder/disappearance mystery just being a conduit for something that is all too relateable for many of us -- whether you've watched your own relationship fall apart, or mused in dread about what such a thing might look like for you.

I was *this close* to giving the book five stars because I haven't found a book this irresistible for a long time. But I ultimately gave it four (4.5) because I wanted it to have ended differently. Still, this book got under my skin to the point that I find myself wondering if even that personal preference is messed up and off base.

This is the kind of book you want to talk about as soon as you've read it. Luckily, this is easy to do since half the world has read it, too. Sometimes it pays to be the last one to get around to it!