laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Reading Challenges: April Recap

Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction - Sue William Silverman Rampant - Diana Peterfreund Winnie: The True Story of the Bear Who Inspired Winnie-the-Pooh - Sally M Walker, Jonathan D. Voss The Second Jungle Book - Joseph Rudyard Kipling, John Lockwood Kipling Winnie-the-Pooh - A.A. Milne, Ernest H. Shepard

Another month is behind me, and another handful of books read toward various 2015 challenges. As a quick recap, my challenges this year are:

1) A personal challenge created to help me read down my own collection;

2) A challenge from Into the Forest, a fairy tale group I belong to on Goodreads

3) A challenge to read as many source materials for Disney movies as possible and

4) Just for the fun of it, a challenge to see how many of the books I read happen to fit with the criteria of this challenge.

From my personal reading challenge, I was reading "new books." This means I was reading books in the reverse order from when I acquired them. When I finished one book, the idea would be I would read next whichever book on my shelf was "newest." Admittedly, I chose April as my "new book" month because it is the month in which a nearby college has its book sale, which is always rife with religious books. Unfortunately, my "Into the Forest" challenge book took so long to read this month that I only got through one new book.

Lovesick: A Woman's Journey Through Sexual Addiction by Sue Williams Silverman - This was a Paperbackswap new arrival in April, and it's already gone back out again into the Paperbackswap world.

From my Into the Forest Reading Challenge, I read

1. A book or collection,Fiction or non-fiction, featuring legendary/mythological monsters or creatures - Rampant, by Diana Peterfreund, which features killer unicorns. It was longer than most YA fare at 400 + pages, so it took most of April to get through reading just 1/2 an hour a day.

For this 2015 Reading Challenge I read ...

A popular author's first book - Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (in progress)

A Pulitzer Prize Winning Book - Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (in progress)

A book you can finish in a day - Winnie: The Story of the Bear that Inspired Winnie the Pooh by Sally M. Walker

A book with magic - Rampant by Diane Peterfreund

A book you started but never finished - The Bible (in progress -- I am on "Revelations!")

For Disney Source Materials, I read ...

The Second Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne and Winnie: The Story of the Bear that Inspired Winnie the Pooh by Sally M. Walker

Charles Perrault's "Sleeping Beauty"

May is the month for "my current obsession," which is parenthood.