laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Reading Challenges: May Recap

The Prenatal Prescription - Peter W. Nathanielsz, Christopher Vaughan Maybe Baby: 28 Writers Tell the Truth About Skepticism, Infertility, Baby Lust, Childlessness, Ambivalence, and How They Made the Biggest Decision of Their Lives - Lori Leibovich Bound - Donna Jo Napoli Attachments - Rainbow Rowell Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides Zondervan NIV Wide Margin Bible - Zondervan Publishing The Boy in the Black Suit - Jason Reynolds The House at Pooh Corner - A.A. Milne, Ernest H. Shepard Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens The Rescuers - Margery Sharp, Garth Williams

Another month is behind me, and another handful of books read toward various 2015 challenges. As a quick recap, my challenges this year are:

1) A personal challenge created to help me read down my own collection;

2) A challenge from Into the Forest, a fairy tale group I belong to on Goodreads

3) A challenge to read as many source materials for Disney movies as possible and

4) Just for the fun of it, a challenge to see how many of the books I read happen to fit with the criteria of this challenge.

From my personal reading challenge, I was reading books about "my current obsession." As I'm getting to "that certain age" (34), questions about whether to tackle parenthood have been on my mind for more than a solid year. This month, I read two books relating to this topic:

The Prenatal Prescription by Peter W. Nathanielsz - A book about the impact a mother's prenatal choices will have on her child for life. An informative read, but probably not the most outstanding book on the subject.

Maybe Baby: 28 Writers Tell the Truth About Skepticism, Infertility, Baby Lust, Childlessness, Ambivalence, and How They Made the Biggest Decision of Their Lives by Lori Liebovich - That is one godforsaken long subtitle. I would have just subtitled it 28 Writers on How They Made the Biggest Decision of Their Lives. Cumbersome title aside, this was a solid collection about all of the above. I always feel as if I learn more about big decisions by reading personal accounts than self-help books.

I really wanted to squeeze in a book about the "working mom" vs. "stay-at-home mom" debate, but I had to cram in a book for book club instead. :/

From my Into the Forest Reading Challenge, I read

1. A book by a favorite author that you haven't read yet - Bound by Donna Jo Napoli. Bound is a retelling of the Chinese version of the Cinderella story. I used to devour DJN books, but then abandoned them for 10 years or so. It was nice to go back.

For this 2015 Reading Challenge I read ...

A popular author's first book - Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

A Pulitzer Prize Winning Book - Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

A book you started but never finished - The Bible

A book published this year - The Boy in the Black Suit by Jason Reynolds (haven't written my review yet)

A book from an author you love that you haven't read yet - Bound by Donna Jo Napoli

For Disney Source Materials, I read ...

The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

The Rescuers & Miss Bianca by Margery Sharp and

The Fox and the Hound by Daniel P. Mannix

My theme for the month of May is "Take Me Away" -- fantasy, sci-fi, historical, or travel books -- anything that takes me far afield from my current 2015 South Dakota reality.