laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 83/100: YOLO by Lauren Myracle

yolo - Lauren Myracle

Ever since the plotline with Angela moving away in the second book, I've thought that these books might be best suited to a "long-distance" storyline. Since the story is all told in IM anyway, it stood to reason that long-distance friends might depend more on and reveal more through this medium when they didn't see each other in real life to catch up. While the distance did give this book a slightly different flavor, along with the college atmosphere, the girls still regularly talked on the phone, leading to "missed moments" for the reader.

Also, I think this is a case where reading the book back-to-back with its predecessors interfered with my overall enjoyment of it. The series was supposedly over with l8r, g8r, but then seven years later Myracle returned to the trio to follow their college adventures (probably because of the popularity of the "new adult" genre and other college-based stories such as Fangirl -- back when the trilogy was originally written, setting YA in colleges was still a genre no-no.) Which is all fine -- this book has enough storyline of it own that it doesn't feel like a forced sequel. It also does a really good job of capturing the "college atmosphere" from three different perspectives -- it FELT like all three girls were going to different schools even as their college experiences were somewhat universal. But while only ONE year has passed in the Internet Girls' lives, SEVEN years have passed in the real world. And seven years is a long time in Internet-land.

That means that in this book, the girls are primarily using tablets. They are using Skype to video chat. They have Twitter and Facebook accounts. They are texting on their phones more than they are IMing. Which is all fine -- I can understand that Lauren Myracle didn't want this book to feel "dated," and in fact all of these technologies WERE around in 2007/8, although perhaps not so ubiquitous as they are now. Still, it's strange to me that NONE of these were mentioned by the girls one year earlier (in their time), but they're all in common usage "now." I guess that is the awkwardness of publishing a contemporary YA sequel 7 years after its predecessor, and if I had read these books with as much space between them as I usually give series books, I wouldn't have even noticed. But, alas, I did notice, and it was somewhat distracting.

The girls' personalities still came through, though, and of course they came through for each other in the end, as always. It was still a fun read despite an unbelievable storyline here and there. I'm not sorry to be done with the series, but it was enjoyable enough while it lasted.