laceylouwagie

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 4/100: The Voyeurs by Gabrielle Belle

The Voyeurs - Gabrielle Bell, Aaron Cometbus

Around the Year Reading Challenge Item #1: A Book You Meant to Read in 2015

(Having picked this up in November with the intent to read it and return it quickly, I figured it counted as a book I meant to read in 2015, as I had no intention of continuously renewing it, unread, until January -- but that is exactly what happened!)

I have to walk past the graphic novel rack every time that I go to the library after work to get my report sent before 6 pm, so I keep ending up with these "impulse check-outs" from that department even though graphic novels aren't my favorite genre, nor does my library have that great a collection!

Still, I am beginning to learn that, as much as I love "traditional" memoirs, I may love "graphic" memoirs even more. I love to read published diaries, and in many ways that is what "The Voyeurs" is -- although there is not a clear "throughline" or overarching "plot" tying the many vignettes together, each of them has its own rising and falling tensions, along with a sense of universalism balanced with individuality and plenty of vulnerability. I am not a cartoonist, but I related to many of Bell's struggles as an introvert who does most of her work within the confines of her own home, having also given into obsessive email checking, the need to totally "unplug" for a few days, resistance to leaving my home, and bouts of depression as she describes.

This is my first time reading Bell, and unfortunately, it's the only collection by her my library carries. Still, I will keep my eyes peeled and gladly read more if the opportunity arises.