laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 11/100: Kindergarten Diary by Antoinette Portis

Kindergarten Diary - Antoinette Portis

One of my favorite genres to read is published diaries -- I don't really care what the diaries are about -- war, adolescence, writing, I'll read 'em all. I also like fictional stories that are told through diary entries or letters, such as [book:I Capture the Castle|31122] or [book:Code Name Verity|11925514]. So I thought it might be fun to see what a "fictional diary account" from a kindergartener might look like.

While this book is cute, there is nothing that really distinguishes it as a "fictional diary" rather than just a first-person story in a child's "voice," except for the handwriting notebook paper backgrounds. It's cute, but not clever enough to be as fun for adults as it is for kids -- and even for kids, I think it's more of a "reassuring" story than one that will be enjoyed again and again. The best part about it is the collage illustrations, especially regarding the interesting textures that they give to the clothing.