laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book Review: When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

When You Reach Me  - Rebecca Stead

I struggled with whether to give this one a "high three" or a "low four" stars. It's very sweet, and it's well written. The characters are vivid, and their motivations are believable. I like the exploration of time travel from a theoretical and "actual" perspective, and I like that it doesn't totally "take over" the plot. I figured out the "secret" before the main character did, which is always a bit of a let-down -- but if I had read this when I was younger, I probably wouldn't have. I think the main drawback of the story is that it took a while for me to get into it -- for a while it felt too much like children's literary fiction (reminiscent of Lynn Rae Perkins' "Criss Cross") in which "nothing needs to happen." I feel like a book as short as this one can't really afford a slow build. The ending was a little too cutesy, too.

But still, it's thoughtful and thought-provoking, and I think it could be a perfect book for the right person. It doesn't help that the main character loves "A Wrinkle in Time" and references it often, either -- although it refers to Meg as 12 in the book, and I could have sworn she was 15. An Internet search backs up her age as 12. Does anyone else remember/know a 15-year-old Meg? Perhaps I'll have to return to the source.