laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

New Book Arrival: The Work of Wolves by Kent Meyers

The Work of Wolves - Kent Meyers

One of my favorite things about getting the mail is seeing whether a new book has arrived. I get new books often, as I'm an active member on Paperbackswap and Bookmooch. I've decided to start tracking my new books as they arrive, since it's usually years before I get around to reading them, and I want to remember what drew me to them in the first place.

Today's book described on the cover as "Western-based literature." I have never in my life read a "Western," which means this could qualify for my Year in Reading pick for August, which asks me to read from a genre/format I don't usually read in. So, why did this book make it onto my shelf? A couple years ago, I taught a writing class for senior citizens, and I taught Kent Meyers' father in law. He was an eager student and very proud of his son in law's literary success. Out of all his published works, this one appealed to me most because it takes place in South Dakota, where I live now (not where I grew up). Also, I find anything with "wolves" in the title to be evocative.