laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 11/100: Grace (Eventually) by Anne Lamott

Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith - Anne Lamott

I love Anne Lamott's writing, so this book was a pretty easy sell. Her brand of spirituality, centered around finding beauty in the day-to-day life, humanizing the divine, and continuing to strive to be your better self really resonates with me. It is completely unashamed without being preachy, and eminently human. Although I listened to the audiobook, I found myself wishing for the physical copy at times so I could pull the quotes that struck me.

My favorite essays were the ones about her son, Sam, and my favorite part of the whole book was when she mentioned that she realized she didn't really like kids while she was in labor with him. Anne Lamott's sense of humor, often self-deprecating, was my favorite part of the book, especially when employed to characterize Jesus. Although her ranting about George W. Bush started to get old, I do remember how frustrating those years were, and I think her despair about him was honestly so much a part of her consciousness that writing about it wasn't so much a matter of trying to convince people but just to be honest about the contents of her own mind. There's an essay called "The Born" about her pro-choice stance that is absolutely excellent, and one of the ones that most made me yearn to have the book in front of me.

She reads the audio version herself, and her voice took some getting used to, but once I did, I was sorry to say goodbye when it was time to return this little book of faith to the library.