laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

New Book Arrivals: Bookseller ARCs

All Joy and No Fun: The Paradox of Modern Parenthood - Jennifer Senior MaddAddam - Margaret Atwood We Are Water - Wally Lamb

What can I say? Wherever I go, people are compelled to give me free books. Last weekend, I got together with some friends from college. One of them, a bookseller, couldn't be there. But she sent some books for me in her stead. They are all Advanced Reader Copies and include -

We Are Water by Wally Lamb - I don't know if I told her I wanted to read this book, or if her psychic powers are at work. It's about two women, both married to men, who fall in love with one another. I'm bisexual and so books with queer themes almost always interest me, unless they're in a genre I wouldn't normally read (i.e., mysteries, etc.)

MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood - I've been an Atwood fan since I first discovered The Handmaid's Tale 17 years ago (over half my life!), and many people feel the MaddAddam trilogy is her crowning sci-fi achievement. This ARC ALMOST helps me get over the fact that my husband plowed through this book without waiting for me. :p

All Joy and No Fun: The Paradox of Modern Parenthood by Jennifer Senior - I'd never heard about this book before, and my friend recently sent a text message to me "explaining" that she sent it because she knows I'm always interested in commentary on the status of women's lives, etc. Also, I'm currently obsessed with the question of parenthood. This is one of those books that I've been flipping open from time to time and totally getting sucked in regardless of which page I land on. Looking forward to giving it a "proper" read!