laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 43/100: Making Babies: Stumbling into Motherhood by Anne Enright

Making Babies: Stumbling Into Motherhood - Anne Enright

This is one of those books I read hoping to discover the "real deal" about being a parent. It's written by an "older parent" (first child after age 35), which appeals to me even more, since that's the direction I and most of my friends are heading. Anne Enright's writing is good, her observations keen and even beautiful at times. The book felt incredibly honest and clear-eyed to me, neither romanticizing or disparaging motherhood. Still, the descriptions of babies were not quite as vivid here as in It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita or Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year. It did feel authentic, so much so that her "voice" reminded me of real mothers that I know and how they might share their experiences. I liked that she neither bemoaned nor glorified motherhood. I read a lot about how "funny" this book was, but I didn't find it particularly funny. Maybe it's funnier to people who have kids, or it's just not my kind of humor. A worthwhile read, but one I'm not sure will stick with me.