laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 48/100: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins

This book did a good job at being what it was: a not-too-heavy teen romance in an exotic location (Paris, France).

The descriptions of the sights around Paris was probably my favorite part of this book, as it brought up a lot of memories of my trip to Paris. I liked vicariously living there for a full school year through Anna's experiences. The romance was well done and almost made me a little tingly at times -- I think perhaps if I'd read it when I was younger, it would have pushed me a little further into swoony territory. But really, I found myself just waiting and hoping for something *more*. This book doesn't really strive to go beyond what it is. Although I found St. Clair to be well-characterized, most of the other characters fell pretty flat to me. Each of them had an obligatory interest (history, graphic novels, movies, soccer) and a little bit of obligatory backstory, but they never felt totally real to me. The "villain" characters are even worse -- "mean girls," guys who kiss and tell/exaggerate, and the conflicts they create are pretty stereotypical (and resolved in a pretty trite way, too.)

This probably isn't a book I would have read on my own, but it was enjoyable enough and lent itself to a more involved book club discussion than I expected, which was a nice surprise. I wouldn't be opposed to reading more by this author, but I probably wouldn't seek her out.