laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

And ... it's another new books backlog!

Soul Comfort for Cat Lovers: Coping Wisdom for Heart and Soul After the Loss of a Beloved Feline - Liz Eastwood My Pet Remembrance Journal - Enid Traisman, Tiffini Mueller, Michelle Leal, Lisa Adza How to Cheat at Cleaning - Jeff Bredenberg The Woman Warrior - Maxine Hong Kingston The First True Lie: A Novel - Marina Mander Feeding the Eagles: Short Stories (The Graywolf short fiction series) - Paulette Bates Alden

Every time I post about new books, I think, "There! Now I should be all caught up for a while. I don't see getting any new books in the immediate future."

Ha. Hahahahaha. Ha. Here are the books that have come my way in June, along with why and from whence they came.

Soul Comfort for Cat Lovers: Coping Wisdom for Heart and Soul after the Loss of a Beloved Feline by Elizabeth Eastwood and My Pet Remembrance Journal by Enid Traisman - Unfortunately, I had to say goodbye to my beloved cat Phoebe at the end of May--something I didn't see coming and was not prepared for. When I'm in crisis, books are the first places I turn. After checking out the two pet loss items at my library that weren't geared toward little kids or dog-owners, I bought these two. Both are absolutely fantastic. I'm going through Soul Comfort slowly; although it's short, I'm saving it for those moments when I most need a "friend" to take my hand through my heartache. I'm getting through My Pet Remembrance Journal slowly because it requires time to sit down and write; I think finishing it will signal the end of my "formal" grieving period.

How to Cheat at Cleaning by Jeff Bredenberg - My husband bought this at a garage sale while we were visiting his family. He's read more of it than I have. Hey, anything that encourages the hubby to clean is a winner in my book! Also, we both want to reduce the time we spend in our lives doing unpleasant work (who doesn't?) so that we can spend more time doing "fun work" (writing for me, programming for him.)

The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston - I found out about this book on a Common Sense Media recommendation of classics teens should read over the summer. It's a memoir woven with Asian folklore, and it's the folklore that sold me on it.

The First True Lie by Marina Mander - I'm gonna be honest -- this is one of those books that ended up on my "to-read" list but I can't for the life of me remember why. Still, I tend to trust my "judgment of the past" and just accept when something comes up at Bookmooch or Paperbackswap, and this came from Bookmooch, where I have a ridiculous amount of credits and don't have to think twice about burnin' them up. (My Paperbackswap credits are always a little tight, though, so I don't accept so blindly over there.) Oh, and in case you're wondering, it's about a child who keeps living in a house with his mother's dead body because he doesn't want people to know he's an orphan.

Feeding the Eagles by Paulette Bates Alden. I read Alden's Crossing the Moon, and then Unforgettable, so I decided to order a copy of her earlier book of short stories, which features the same protagonist as Unforgettable. While Unforgettable looks at the dilemmas of middle age, I expect the Miriam in Feeding the Eagles to be closer to young adulthood and the experiences I'm currently going through (although I related to most of the stories in Unforgettable just the same.)