laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

A Year in Reading Suggestions: June Recap & July Plans

Till We Have Faces - C.S. Lewis I, Robot - Isaac Asimov Dickinson: Poems - Emily Dickinson The Awakening - Kate Chopin

I've made it through another themed month in A Year in Reading Suggestions. This month's challenge was classics:

In June, read that classic you never read.
Most of us have a classic novel that haunts us because we never got through it. Maybe you got away with reading the CliffsNotes or watching the movie so you could pass a quiz, but now’s your chance to finally read the whole thing.

There are TONS of classics I've never read, and I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I went lightweight on this one. Rather than read the Edith Wharton on Jane Austen or Joseph Heller or Virginia Woolf on my shelves, I went with fantasy, science fiction, and poetry.

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis - I don't even know if this one would technically be considered a "classic," but since other of Lewis' writing falls into "classics" territory (Narnia, The Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity), I decided this one could count toward this challenge when it won as the May/June's "group read" on Goodreads' Into the Forest Group (fairy tales and retellings).

I, Robot by Isaac Asimov - I've had this classic of science fiction on my MP3 player for ages, so I finally decided to give it a listen this month. It reminded me why "classic" science fiction frustrates me so much -- a fifties mentality of gender roles projected hundreds of years into the future, and fairly flat characterizations.

Dickinson: Poems - We booked our tickets for our East Coast vacation this month, the highlight of which will be a visit to the Emily Dickinson museum. This month's theme gave me a great opportunity to revisit her poetry.

The Awakening by Kate Chopin - This was my last-ditch effort to squeeze a "traditional" classic into the month, and I'm not finished with it yet. But with only a few pages left to go, I've given up hope that it will "get better."

July is shaping up quite nicely, however! The theme is social media reading recommendations:

In July, read a book you found on NoveList or Fiction Connection (or GoodReads or LibraryThing).
Log in and see what new book you can discover using these valuable reading tools.

At last, an excuse to start tracking down some of the books on my Goodreads To-Read shelf! If it's on my Goodreads to-read list, chances are I found out about it from Goodreads, so anything on this list is fair game as long as I don't distinctly remember learning about the book from someplace else first (usually if I hear about it someplace else, it goes onto my library reading list, or my Paperbackswap or Bookmooch wishlists.) I only own two of the books on my Goodreads to-read list: The Longest Date - Life as a Wife by Cindy Chupack, and Encounters with the Strange and Unexplained by Matt Hoyle. I already read The Longest Date in the first few days of July and will start reading Encounters tomorrow. And I'm putting a few other hold and interlibrary loan requests in for the others. I always feel guilty when I spend this much time reading books NOT on my shelves (which I really need to clear), but it's kind of a special treat, too. Another month I'm looking forward to!