laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

Book 59/100: The Longest Date - Life as a Wife by Cindy Chupack

The Longest Date: Life as a Wife - Cindy Chupack

I really enjoying these books that allow me to get a "peek" into other people's experiences of marriage. This book is a collection of essays from a Sex & the City and Oprah relationships writer about her late-in-life marriage. For the first half of the book my judging self was on full alert. I found Cindy's snarky tone somewhat off-putting, and her husband's recommendation that she get breast reduction surgery to enhance their sex life and their joint decision to visit sex clubs in Thailand made them not the sort of couple I'd want to hang out with. Not to mention other outside-my-frame-of-reference/class experiences like spending tons of money on extravagant dinners for friends, taking a trip abroad any time they were waiting for fertility treatment results, or flying off to France for a bachelorette party.

Of course, I would be remiss to say I didn't ENJOY reading those parts, however. The essays all held my interest, even if some of them were in a "Seriously?" sort of way. And there were parts I related to, as well, especially Cindy's experiences of adjusting to marriage after such a long life as a singleton, including this quote which echoes almost EXACTLY something I said to a friend once about why I loved living alone:

“When you're single and living alone, if you like things just so, you can have them just so. And when you come home at night, unless you've been robbed, things will still be just so. And then you get married, and nothing is ever just so again.” - from “A Fine Mess”

Still, this book probably would have remained firmly in three-star territory if it weren't for the serious turn it took in the second half, when she writes intimately and bravely about their struggle to have children, from fertility treatments to donor eggs to adoption. It made me cry, and books that make me cry almost always get their star rating bumped up one spot.