laceylouwagie

A Reading Vocation

"I Must Read, Read, and Read. It is my Vocation." - Thomas Merton

81/100: Cat Daddy - What the World's Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean

Cat Daddy: What the World's Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean - Jackson Galaxy, Joel Derfner

I found myself longing for stories about people who loved cats after my cat's death at the end of May, so I bumped this book and Homer's Odyssey up on my list.

Although this book satisfied my yearning for stories by people who love cats, the book is really more about Jackson's journey from drug addiction and delinquency to cleaning up his life, and the role discovering his "gift" with cats played in that transition. I found the first part of the book to be the most interesting, wherein Jackson details his work within the shelter environment, which is both emotionally and politically charged. Despite the subtitle, this book was not as much about Benny, the cat in question, as I expected it to be, and that was a disappointment to me. I did love Galaxy's description of Benny's seeming "surprise" every time he "noticed" he was a cat, and of course, I cried when Jackson finally had to let him go. But I wanted a little more about the other cats in Jackson's life -- one of them dies halfway through with barely a mention, whereas Benny's death is handled with loving detail.

The book has just the right amount of "advice" woven into the story without it feeling preachy or bogging it down. I read this without ever having seen My Cat From Hell, but perhaps the best thing this book did was ignite my love affair with that show, which I'm rapidly burning through on Netflix. Jackson Galaxy is truly a gift to cat guardians everywhere.